Investors - Press Releases
|View printer-friendly version|
TRHC and Landmark Announce Expansion of MedWise Medication Risk Mitigation Study
Use of TRHC’s MedWise Technology Suggests Promising Results in Reduced Hospital Admissions and Improved Cost Savings
A phase I pilot study was designed to compare healthcare resource utilization and costs between a control group and a MedWise intervention group. The study also assessed the association between different disease groups and the response to a MedWise-driven intervention. The interim results appeared promising in both utilization and cost savings resulting in a phase II pilot expansion across additional Landmark patient populations.
In the phase I study, Landmark licensed MedWise from TRHC for its staff pharmacists. Landmark pharmacists then trained with TRHC, learning how best to use the technology in clinical practice and understanding the science underlying the technology. Landmark pharmacists reviewed the medication regimens of intervention cohort patients in advance of patient visits by Landmark providers. Collaborating with Landmark pharmacists, Landmark providers used MedWise-generated output to optimize the safety and efficacy of medication profiles leading to the positive trends observed in the study.
“The interim findings of the phase I study support our hypothesis that the use of MedWise for medication risk mitigation results in improved patient outcomes and cost savings,” said TRHC Chairman and CEO,
“The implementation of TRHC’s MedWise technology is an important advance for our medical teams who treat individuals with chronic health conditions and complex medication regimens,” said
TRHC’s proprietary MedWise platform analyzes simultaneous, accumulative, multi-drug interactions to give pharmacists and clinicians the insight they need to make safer prescribing choices. The technology also empowers prescribers to take a more personalized approach to medication management, including medication selection, dosage levels, time-of-day administration and reduction of the total number of medications by eliminating unnecessary prescriptions.
About the Study
The controlled trial, Phase 1 of the TRHC/Landmark study, included 1,000 patients, identified through TRHC’s proprietary medication risk stratification process. Of this group, 40 percent were randomly selected to be in the control cohort and the remaining 60 percent were in the intervention cohort. Descriptive statistical analysis shows balanced results between intervention and control group on patients’ demographic information, disease profile, and healthcare utilization.
Phase 2 of the controlled study is currently underway and will study a greater population of patients in the
TRHC (NASDAQ:TRHC) is a leader in providing patient-specific, data-driven technology and solutions that enable healthcare organizations to optimize medication regimens to improve patient outcomes, reduce hospitalizations, lower healthcare costs and manage risk. TRHC provides solutions for a range of payers, providers and other healthcare organizations. For more information, visit TRHC.com.
Landmark is an industry leader of home-based medical care for patients with complex health needs, covering more than 80,000 lives. Its community-based, physician-led medical teams specialize in house calls and deliver medical, behavioral, social and palliative care to individuals with multiple chronic conditions wherever they reside, and whenever they need it. Landmark’s teams of mobile clinicians collaborate with patients’ families, caregivers and other medical providers to bring coordinated healthcare to people who need it the most. Landmark operates nationally in 13 states. For more information, visit www.landmarkhealth.org.
This press release includes forward-looking statements that we believe to be reasonable as of today’s date. Such statements are identified by use of the words “anticipates,” “believes,” “estimates,” “expects,” “intends,” “plans,” “predicts,” “projects,” “should,” and similar expressions. These forward-looking statements are based on management’s expectations and assumptions as of the date of this press release. Actual results might differ materially from those explicit or implicit in the forward-looking statements. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially include: the need to innovate and provide useful products and services; risks related to changing healthcare and other applicable regulations; increasing consolidation in the healthcare industry; managing our growth effectively; our ability to adequately protect our intellectual property; and the other risk factors set forth from time to time in our filings with the
T: (617) 234-4118
Bob East or Asher Dewhurst
T: (443) 213-0500
Source: Tabula Rasa HealthCare, Inc.